Bellevue car accident: Don’t miss these steps
Car accidents and crashes happen often in Washington, and a significant number of these mishaps are related to negligent, reckless, and distracted driving. If you were hurt in such a crash in Bellevue, you must evaluate whether you can seek compensation from the driver at fault. Washington’s fault-based rules make the at-fault party accountable for losses suffered by victims, including medical bills and lost wages. Instead of trying to understand state laws or how to file a lawsuit, consider meeting a Bellevue car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Here are some steps that can help your claim.
- Report the accident: Other drivers may say that the accident is a minor incident and doesn’t require reporting, but don’t listen to all that. Inform the local law enforcement, and unless there is another emergency or you need medical care immediately, don’t leave the scene. An officer will ask questions, and you will need a copy of the accident report for your next steps.
- Document everything: Use your phone to take pictures of the damaged vehicles, road conditions, and injuries. Video footage and photos are beneficial for establishing the severity of an accident, and your attorney will determine other details, including the property damage, based on the evidence available.
- Gather information from others: Note the names, contact details, insurance information, and addresses of all drivers involved in the accident. Check if someone saw the crash happen, and you can get their numbers to contact them later for witness statements.
- Keep up with medical care. Even if there was no need to call emergency responders to the scene, you should see a doctor soon after the accident. Follow their advice and keep up with the treatment plan as suggested. You need medical records to prove your injuries, and if you fail to seek medical care, there is little room to evaluate the damages and losses.
- Choose a competent accident lawyer: Not all injury lawyers handle car accident lawsuits. Find a law firm based in Bellevue and check whether they have attorneys with commendable profiles. You should also check whether the lawyer assigned to your case has trial experience and can take the matter to court. Online ratings and reviews are also helpful in comparing local firms in your city.
See an attorney before you lose track of the accident claim. They will also negotiate with the insurance company and handle the relevant paperwork.